The Visa Waiver Program (VWP)
The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables most citizens or nationals of participating countries to travel to the U.S. for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without first obtaining a visa, when they meet all requirements explained below. Travelers must have a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) approval prior to travel. If you prefer a visa in your passport, you may still apply for a visitor (B) visa.
Requirements for Using the Visa Waiver Program (VWP)
You must meet all of the following requirements to travel to the United States on the VWP.
The following are examples of activities permitted while in the United States on the VWP. In addition, transiting or traveling through the United States to Canada or Mexico is generally permitted for VWP travelers.
- Consult with business associates
- Attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference
- Attend short-term training (you may not be paid by any source in the United States with the exception of expenses incidental to your stay)
- Negotiate a contract
- Vacation (holiday)
- Visit with friends or relatives
- Medical treatment
- Participation in social events hosted by fraternal, social, or service organizations
- Participation by amateurs in musical, sports, or similar events or contests, if not being paid for participating
- Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree (for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation)
The following are examples of activities not permitted on the VWP and require visas for travel to the United States:
- Study, for credit
- Work as foreign press, radio, film, journalists, or other information media
- Permanent residence in the United States
Citizen or National of VWP Designated Country
Citizens or nationals of the following countries are currently eligible to travel to the United States under the VWP, unless citizens of one of these countries are also a national of Iraq, Iran, Syria, or Sudan.
Frequently Asked Questions - ESTA / VWP
VISA Waver Program - VWP