AANA and AOSSM joined efforts to establish a Match in 2008. AANA and AOSSM utilize the SF Match Residency and Fellowship Matching Services (SF Match) to administer the Match. Applicants interested in applying to the Orthopaedic Surgery Sports Medicine Match should register with SF Match and obtain and complete the Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Match Central Application Service (CAS). All applications must be submitted to SF Match for distribution to fellowship programs. Applications sent directly to fellowship programs will not be accepted.
Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Programs are eligible to participate in the Match if they are ACGME-accredited, accredited by the Canadian Orthopaedic Association (COA), an AANA-recognized fellowship or have submitted an application to the ACGME prior to August 15. Non-accredited positions are clearly designated in the Participating Programs listing and on the SF Match website. Non-accredited positions DO NOT qualify for subspecialty certification in sports medicine through the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery.
It is particularly important that resident applicants, program directors and faculty, as well as residency directors and faculty fully understand the Match process and policies.
Interview Dates by Region
Fellowship Program Directory
2018-2019 Match Timeline
For training beginning August 1, 2020 (ending July 31, 2021)
- August 6, 2018: Registration opens for applicants on SF Match website. Applicants can register for the Match and download a copy of the CAS application. The list of participating fellowship programs is located at the link above and on the SF Match website.
- November 30, 2018: Interview invitations to be sent out by programs to applicants (no earlier than 11/30/18). Allow one week for RSVP.
- January 1, 2019: Sports Medicine/Arthroscopy Interviews Begin
- April 8, 2019: Sports Medicine/Arthroscopy Interviews End
- April 16, 2019: Rank lists due to SF Match from both programs and applicants
- April 30, 2019: Match Day