Health Policy Fellowship
The application for the 2024-2026 Health Policy Fellowship will open in Spring 2024!
The past decade has seen major changes in musculoskeletal health care reimbursement and regulation, with more to come. AANA and its members must be proactive in influencing the forces behind these changes.
The AANA Health Policy Fellowship was born out of a desire to encourage member involvement in the health care policy arena. Brought to fruition by the AANA Advocacy Committee, this program develops and engages members to influence the national discussion on health care to ensure continued patient access to high-quality arthroscopic care.
The biennial program exposes the selected fellow to training and skill development, preparing them for a leadership role in AANA’s advocacy efforts. Thanks to generous donors, the AANA Education Foundation can fund the program annually.
AANA Health Policy Fellowship Model
The AANA Health Policy Fellowship is a two-year program that exposes one selected fellow to legislative and regulatory organizations impacting arthroscopic care.
The following national health policy and advocacy meetings will be part of the program over a two-year period:
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) Coding, Coverage and Reimbursement Committee
- American Medical Association (AMA) RUC Meeting
- AMA Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) Advisory and Editorial Panels
- National Orthopaedic Leadership Conference
- Board of Specialty Societies (BOS)/Board of Councilors Fall Meeting
- AANA Annual Meeting and AANA Board of Directors Meeting
- Visits to the AAOS Washington and Rosemont offices
- Participation in the AANA Advocacy Committee conference calls and meetings.
- Joint activity with the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS) and AAOS Health Policy Fellows in Washington, D.C.
- Other forums deemed significant to AANA’s mission, which the AANA Advocacy Committee and/or board determines
The AANA Health Policy Fellowship is open to U.S.-based AANA members who have completed a certified arthroscopy and/or sports medicine fellowship.
Any AANA Member in good standing is eligible, however preference will be given to candidates who are within five years post-fellowship.
Prior experience in areas of health policy or health care economics is advantageous but not required.
Applications are accepted in the fall prior to the start of the two-year term. The next application cycle will begin in Spring 2024.
A complete application must include:
- A personal statement.
- Letters of support and approval from the director of the applicant's Arthroscopy/Sports Medicine Fellowship for current fellows.
- For practicing post-graduate applicants, two letters of support from AANA members who have in-depth knowledge of the applicant's practice and advocacy interest are required.
Application Timeline, Annual Meeting and Mentorship
The AANA Advocacy Committee will review applications and select the fellow in April/May. Their fellowship will commence at the AANA Annual Meeting.
The selected fellow will choose a research topic to be presented during the AANA Annual Meeting. The project should be suitable for publication in Arthroscopy, AANA’s peer-reviewed journal.
The AANA Advocacy Committee Chair will provide mentorship to the selected fellow. Additionally, an AANA Member who has an interest in health policy matters will serve as the selected fellow’s mentor. The chosen member will provide guidance by serving as the research advisor and co-author of the published research.
2022-2024 Recipient: Ravi S. Vaswani, M.D.